I'm always surprised as to where and when blog entry ideas come to me....a conversation...a work experience...or first thing in the morning as I'm headed to the kitchen.
Don't ask me why but this morning on my way to the fridge the idea of nicknames popped into my head. Ordinarily this isn't much of a blog entry, but I seem to have many..some used all the time...some not so much.
Sang - my straight friends call me this. If you know my last name this becomes self-evident. This started in high school. Sporadically at first, but was cemented at high school graduation as someone (who is now a fast rising vice principal at a high school) yelled out "Saaaanng" as I was crossing the stage to receive my diploma. Now all my straight friends call me this...to the point where someone new to the group (usually a date of someone) joins the group it takes a couple of months to figure out that I have a real name.
Jake - my parents call me Jake. It stems from my real first name Jason. I can always remember being called Jake by my parents - especially my father. When I was a kid there was a country song called "Feed Jake" about a guy leaving instructions in case he died to ensure his dog Jake was fed. My father took great joy in this song and teased me relentlessly about it. At the time I hated it...but now as I think of it...I may play it at his funeral when time comes.
Snake - stems from Jake and is used occasionally by my parents. Jake the Snake...ala the 80's wrestler. Enough said.
Jay - also stems from my first name. A couple of friends call me this...fairly straight forward... "Hey Jay"
Jason Jasoff - My friend in Ottawa calls me this sometimes. A parody of the Karate Kid line of "wax on, wax off". I enjoy it...and it reminds me of her. I miss her.
Chicken bone - very odd story...one of those where it seems silly to retell as you needed to be there to fully understand. Needless to say the goofy conclusion is a nickname that only a couple of people (whoever was there) occasionally use for me.
Bass - I was once called Bass (as in the guitar or sound). This was at a very weird May long weekend camping party by a guy who misheard Sang...go figure.
My drag name - stay tuned as this is an entry unto itself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Personally I think this just demonstrates that you are simply one step away from being called "Sybil" on a permament basis...I know you are probably too young to catch the reference;-)
Post a Comment