Monday, February 05, 2007

A Single Life

Is a life lived while single (i.e. without a romantic life partner) a wasted life?

A friend* and I were discussing romance and relationships and the thought occurred to me that some people truly believe that unless you are married or in a long term committed relationship your life is in some way incomplete and/or wasted.

I have always believed that being single was O.K. and that a relationship was a nice added bonus. I have friends* (whether they openly admit it or not) who believe that a relationship is a major goal in life and that if they don't achieve it they have failed in some way - they also transpose this expectation to others in general. Whenever we discuss this, I usually end up taking some offense as I'm single and will probably be single for a large portion of my life (for various reasons - mainly my own quirks) so I end up feeling like lesser of a person in their eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I am open to finding that special someone and would like to find him. However, I realize that this may or may not happen and will definitely not happen on my time frame and thus I don't pin most, if not all, my hopes and dreams on finding that special someone.
Random thoughts/questions:
What makes someone think that they have failed if they are single?
Why do people think that everyone should have this same expectation?
What makes people so afraid of being single?
Why don't people understand that one can have a full and complete life while single?

Just some thoughts to ponder.

*friends refer to most of my friends, and no one in particular so simmer down.

No comments: