Ramblings and Confessions of a Small City Fag #13: I have never planned my career.
Honest.
I started my university career wanting to be my own boss and run my own business (had no clue what kind of business), so I started my Administration degree. Part way through it I discovered I enjoyed government, economics, and political science. These interests led me to specializing in Public Administration. So I finished my B.Admin with a specialization in Public Administration.
When it came time to find a job after convocation I found nothing. In my fourth year of university I was asked to join the regional group board of the Institute of Public Administration of Canada (IPAC). The dean of Administration was also on that board. He offered me a summer job doing some research. I took it. This led to the idea of starting my Masters of Public Administration so that I could continue the summer research projects. I took started it and kept the job. The research job eventually led to a real job within the Faculty. I took it. I held that job for nearly 4 years. I enjoyed it for the most part. There came a time where I tired of the job and some of the dumbass stress that came with the job. In my last performance evaluation in that job I discussed some career planning with my supervisor and she said that there were opportunities at the university other than the one job I wanted. I took this with a grain of salt and continued on. The very next week the job I'm doing right now was posted. I applied. I interviewed. I got the offer. I took it.
I've been doing my current job for two and half years. A couple of weeks ago I went to Vancouver. I returned to hear about a new plan to deal with a vacancy within the office. The plan was for my current boss to take the vacant position for 6 months and I would take my boss's position for 6 months starting April 1st in addition to my current position. I agreed.
A week later I had Monday off. I came back to an email from our Associate VP saying he was thinking about going to China in May and asked if my schedule would permit me to travel with him. It did. I first thought it would be a relatively short trip to Beijing and another city to visit a school we had been dealing with recently. Last week I realized that it would still be relatively short (a week or so) but will not most likely include the original two cities, a city in Hunan province and a city in Inner Mongolia (go figure).
It's turning into a very busy spring and summer at work...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment