Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Rankin Family

Although born and raised in the heart of the Canadian prairies, my musical taste is centred on the east coast of Canada. My first musical love is The Rankin Family - I can't explain why or how, but they reach deep in me and grasp my soul. I first heard them during my first year of university at the University of Regina...and listened to them non-stop...while driving...while studying (I credit a very high mark in a Econ 100 mid-term to the Rankins)...over and over and over. To date I have every CD they have produced, including Jimmy Rankin's solo CDs, Raylene's solo CDs, and the sisters' Christmas CD.

So after going in different directions and exploring their own path, the family have reunited and produced a CD and are touring again after seven years and after the death of brother John Morris in 2000.

I had front row seats for the Regina stop. The first concert for which I had front row seats - quite the experience....some pressure to visibly show that you're enjoying the show when the band can see you. But no worries for this show - it was great! A great mix of older songs and new ones from the new CD...some songs from solo CDs including Jimmy's soon to be released solo CD. Overall a fantastic concert....check them out if you can!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rankin's suck!

Just so you know!
:)

Anonymous said...

Rankin's what suck?

Anonymous said...

Listening to the Rankin's are like nails on a chalkboard. But that is just my personal opinion...

SPaw said...

Really...I guess this is what I get for sharing with my co-workers or former co-workers...grief...and nothin but...

J said...

Did you expect anything less? :P You have always known that my taste in music and your taste in music differ greatly...

SPaw said...

Jen...I expect nothing less from you lot...and I knew our music taste (taste in my case anyway) differed :)